How Much Water Should Drink To Lose Weight? – A Quick Guide!
Water is the life force that guides us. It is an open fact that water can guide your weight loss process effectively. Many studies and research have proven the benefits of drinking water and its association with weight loss.
Even though many articles have been published on this topic, there aren’t quite articles on how much water should one drink to lose weight. That is the sole purpose of this article. So dive right into this and find out what is the exact quantity of water you need to lose weight.
How Drinking Water Can Help You Lose Weight?
A study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2013 found an association between water consumption and body weight. According to this study, individuals who increased water consumption reported a weight-reducing effect.
Water has been found to decrease appetite and create a feeling of fullness. Here are some other ways, water consumption leads to weight loss.
- Drinking water before a meal can reduce your appetite: Many studies have shown that water can act as a natural appetite suppressant. When you drink water before a meal, the chances for you to overeat reduce considerably.
- It can help you burn more calories: Drinking water has been found to increase resting energy expenditure by 24-30%. Resting energy expenditure is the number of calories you burn while in a resting position.
- Water can aid in fat metabolism: When you drink enough water, it can facilitate fat metabolism. Water molecules can accelerate lipolysis or generally called burning of the fats.
- Proper hydration makes sure the workout success: Drinking water can aid in heart and lung function. This can improve your athletic stamina and endurance while working out.
- It can reduce the intake of liquid calories: One of the ways through which we gain weight is by liquid calorie intake. Some major culprits in this group include beverages such as alcohol, soda, white coffee, etc. These drinks can spike up your calorie count and lead to unhealthy weight gain. Drinking more water can reduce the tendency to indulge in unhealthy liquid calorie intake.
- Water can reduce calorie intake and lower the chances of weight gain: Drinking water can reduce calorie intake and can also reduce the chance of long-term weight gain. This can be especially helpful for children to prevent the long-term effects of obesity and being overweight.
How Much Water Should You Drink To Lose Weight?
Water is essential for weight loss. But how much water should one drink to lose weight? This can depend on the body’s nature and the weight of everyone.
💦 For an average person
If an average person wants to lose weight, they must take at least 64 ounces of water per day. If you are not feeling thirsty after taking 64 ounces of water, do not drink. Too much drinking can lead to water intoxication, which is caused by diluting sodium levels in your brain.
💦 For overweight people
Overweight or obese people are usually suggested to drink half of their body weight in ounces of water. That means if a person weighs around 180 pounds, they should drink at least 90 ounces each day
💦 For people who exercise a lot
People sweat often and this can lead to water depletion. These people are suggested to take some additional ounces of water along with the recommended 64 ounces.
Ways To Increase Your Water Intake
There are some ways through which you can increase your water intake. Some of these tips are mentioned below:
✅ Eat a lot of spicy food: When you eat spicy foods, you will tend to drink water. So try to incorporate spices such as cayenne pepper, hot sauce, etc, with your food.
✅ Incorporate more veggies and fruits: Add more vegetables and fruits into your diet. Most of these contain a lot of water and can increase your water intake. Consider taking vegetables and fruits such as lettuce, cantaloupe, watermelon, etc.
✅ Infused water: Giving a different touch to your water can encourage you to drink it often. Infuse water with cucumber, mint, or lemon.
✅ Bring along a reusable water bottle: A reusable water bottle can be beneficial if you are looking to increase your water intake. This can come in handy while you are traveling or running errands, etc.
✅ Make reminders: You can set some reminders to boost your drinking game. There are many apps available in the market today that can help you set reminders. Use these apps and drink according to the reminders.
Benefits Of Drinking Water
The human body consists of water and makes up around 60% of it. Hydration is one of the most important steps on the way to being healthy. Many types of research have proved the myriad benefits of drinking water. Some of these benefits are provided below.
- Improves digestion: Drinking water can relieve issues such as constipation and can accelerate your digestive process. Your bowel system needs water for its proper functions and lack of enough water can lead to digestive issues such as acidity and constipation.
- Enhances athletic performance: Proper hydration is the key to enhancing your athletic performance and endurance. Lack of enough water intake can lead to reduced motivation and fatigue.
- Enhances cognitive performance and boosts energy levels: One of the crucial benefits of drinking enough water is that it can improve many aspects of your brain function. Also, hydration can boost your energy levels and reduce feelings of stress and anxiety.
- Relieves kidney stones: When you increase fluid intake, it can dilute the minerals in the kidneys and decrease the chance of them building up.
- Aids in weight loss: Drinking water is often attributed to weight loss. As more water you drink, it can reduce unwanted cravings and appetite. This can decrease your calorie intake and thereby will lead to weight loss.
On skimming through the article, one can find that drinking water in enough amounts is based on the weight and body nature of each person. The amount of water to be consumed can be different based on the weight of an individual and other factors such as athletic performance.
One can also increase their water consumption by several methods. Some of them include: Eating spicy foods, increasing vegetable and fruit intake, etc. Water has many health benefits including weight loss. So it is necessary that one makes drinking water a staple part of their diet and fitness regimen.
It is suggested that you should drink at least 64 ounces (eight cups) of water each day to aid in weight loss.
Studies show that drinking around 1.5 liters of water can burn at least 50 calories.
Drinking water can boost your metabolism and thereby aid in a flattened stomach.
You should drink water first thing in the morning to hydrate your body.
Drinking water before bed can break your sleep and can lead to frequent urination.