Topamax For Weight Loss -Benefits And Side Effects
Here we discuss Topamax for weight loss, its benefits, and side effects. According to the authors of a recent study that examined the medical literature, topiramate can aid in weight loss in persons who can tolerate its side effects.
The findings are being presented by Brazilian researchers at the 93rd Annual Meeting of The Endocrine Society in Boston.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Topamax
The meta-analysis, a systematic and quantitative evaluation of published trials, found that among more than 3,300 overweight or obese patients, those who took topiramate for at least four months dropped 11.8 pounds more on average than those who took a placebo.
The researchers analyzed the advantages and drawbacks of topiramate prescription for weight loss by pooling the findings of 10 randomized, controlled clinical trials, which are regarded as the gold standard in scientific research.
They examined information on the weight reduction efficiency of topiramate in 3,320 patients as well as information on side effects in 6,620 individuals, she said.
The investigation found that the treatment’s length and dosage had an impact on the advantages of weight loss.
According to the authors, weight loss was greater when the medicine was taken at doses of 96 to 200 milligrams per day for longer than 28 weeks than for shorter than 28 weeks.
Topiramate-treated individuals were seven times more likely to shed more than 10% of their body weight than research participants who received a placebo.
However, the researchers discovered that compared to placebo-treated patients, topiramate patients were roughly twice as likely to terminate their therapy due to side effects.
According to Kramer, the most prominent adverse effects included a burning feeling (paresthesia), usually in the mouth; poor taste, and psychomotor abnormalities, such as sluggish thinking and slowed movement. Concentration problems and memory problems also became more prevalent.
Topiramate is a generic drug with the brand name Topamax. It is formally categorized as an anticonvulsant that is used to control disorders like migraine and bipolar disorder in addition to conditions like epilepsy.
Topamax is excellent for treating diseases like this, but a common side effect of taking medication is weight loss.
Although many people may view this as an added benefit, losing too much weight isn’t a good thing. According to clinical trials, about 6 percent to 17 percent of persons who take Topamax will experience weight loss.
According to Kuldeep Singh, MD, a weight reduction surgeon in the Baltimore area and the Head of the Maryland Bariatric Center at Mercy Medical Center, the majority of persons taking Topamax will have moderate weight loss.
If you’re taking Topamax and you experience rapid weight loss, it may be time to visit a doctor. It’s crucial to maintain a healthy weight, and speaking with your doctor is the best method to determine what your ideal target weight should be.
Continue reading the article to know more about Topamax, its benefits, and its side effects.
Further, Get To Know The Benefits Of The Topamax In Detail:
- It is used to treat Epilepsy: Clusters of nerve cells, or neurons, in the brain occasionally signal incorrectly in epilepsy, resulting in odd feelings, emotions, and behavior. Convulsions, muscle spasms, and loss of consciousness can also occasionally result.
Both adults and children 2 years of age and older who have epilepsy are treated with Topamax. As an early kind of monotherapy. This indicates that it is prescribed before any additional drugs. Uses for Topamax include:
- Seizures with partial-onset: Topamax may be used alone or in combination with other medications to treat partial-onset seizures. These are known as antiepileptic medications.
- Seizures with tonic-clonus generalization: Topamax may be used alone or in combination with other antiepileptic medications to treat generalized tonic-clonic seizures.
- Lennox-Gastaut syndrome-related seizures: Topamax is combined with other antiepileptic medications for this reason.
- It is used to treat migraines: Migraine is a disorder that can lead to severe, throbbing headaches that linger for a long time. With a migraine attack, many patients also experience vomiting, nausea, and heightened light and sound sensitivity. Before or during a migraine attack, some patients experience sensory symptoms known as an aura.
You can experience blind patches in your vision or see zigzags or flashing lights as a result of the aura. Additionally, the aura may result in speech difficulties or tingling sensations. Many people experience exhaustion, fatigue, or irritability for up to two days following a migraine attack.
Medication that reduces the symptoms of migraine attacks can be used to treat the condition. However, the episodes can be incapacitating and frequently interfere with your capacity to carry out daily tasks.
- It is used to treat bipolar disease: There is little proof that the medication is effective in treating this ailment. Despite this, Topamax is occasionally used to treat bipolar disorder outside of its approved uses. Manic and depressive episodes are common in people with bipolar illness.
Topamax is ineffective for treating manic episodes in bipolar disorder, according to research from a reputable source.
Furthermore, there isn’t enough solid proof from clinical research to demonstrate Topamax’s efficacy in regulating mood in bipolar disorder.
- It is used to treat anxiety: Anxiety cannot be completely treated with Topamax. However, the medication may occasionally be taken outside of its approved uses to treat persons with specific anxiety disorders, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Topamax may or may not be successful in achieving this goal, though.
For instance, according to some studies by trusted Sources, topiramate may be beneficial as an additional OCD treatment.
If certain antidepressants aren’t performing well enough, Topamax may be used as an additional medication. Topamax was ineffective when administered in this manner, according to a different small study by a Trusted Source.
In addition to the above-mentioned benefits including weight loss (good till a certain amount) achieved by consuming Topamax, it is also used to treat borderline personality disorder and nerve pain which are very common nowadays.
Topamax has several benefits if it’s used in the right amount.
People can benefit from Topamax to the maximum, but at the same time, it is good to be aware of the side effects it brings with it.
Read carefully the side effects to know what might happen to you after using Topamax.
- It causes weight loss: Topamax suppresses your appetite, hence leading to weight loss. A certain amount of weight loss if you are overweight is good, but it will lead to several weight loss issues.
- It causes fatigue: Fatigue is having a lack of energy to do anything at all like, a lack of motivation, and no energy.
- It causes nausea: This feeling is felt before you are vomiting, but after taking Topamax you may often feel nauseous.
- It causes dizziness: You may be left feeling unsteadiness or loss of balance and it might be faced often after taking Topamax.
- It causes sleepiness: You feel very tired if you consume a high amount, which is not usually advised.
There are a few more side effects along with feeling the above-mentioned ones like slurred speech, extreme weight loss, hyperthermia (high body temperature) feeling of pins or needles, insomnia, and fever.
These side effects may not last for a long time, according to studies, and they usually go away in a few days.
It is advised to talk to a doctor before taking Topamax. Though the benefits may seem appealing, they may cause serious side effects if not taken in the right way.