Hernia is a common medical condition that affects thousands of people. The condition needs proper medical treatment and surgery as it can’t go away naturally. There is a close connection between hernia and obesity.
Obesity can aggravate the symptoms of hernia causing more pressure on the abdomen. In this article, we will be analyzing the factors that lead to this condition and the tips on how to lose belly fat with a hernia.
What Is Hernia?
Hernia is characterized by the bulging out of certain internal organs through the muscle wall surrounding it. Common types of hernias happen in your abdomen or groin.
This condition usually affects when the abdominal wall or the muscular tissue becomes weaker at a point so that the internal organs can protrude from the part. Most cases of hernias can be painful. And these cases will be needing surgical repair.
Common Types of Hernias
There are different types of hernias based on the location of their protruding. Some of these are listed below:
- Inguinal hernia– One of the most common types of hernia is inguinal hernia. Around 75% of the hernias are inguinal. Mostly, men are affected by this condition. In an inguinal hernia, a part of your bowel bulges out to the inguinal canal, a passage that connects towards the inner thigh.
- Femoral hernia– This is a lesser-found hernia that is found in the area called the femoral canal.
- Hiatal hernia– Hiatal hernia occurs when your stomach pushes through the diaphragm making the esophagus go wide.
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia– This happens as a birth defect. In Congenital diaphragmatic hernia, your abdominal organs bulge out through the chest making the space around your lungs congested.
- Umbilical hernia– Umbilical hernia is also a congenital condition. In this case, your intestines will protrude through the abdominal wall near the belly button.
- Incisional hernia- This condition affects most who have completed abdominal surgery. Tissues start to bulge out through an incision in the abdominal wall that has been weakened over time.
- Ventral hernia– Ventral hernias can be visible as bulges near your belly area. This happens when some tissues in the abdomen protrude through a cavity muscle area.
- Perineal hernia– When organs or tissues bulge out through a cavity on your pelvic floor into the abdomen, it is called a perineal hernia.
What causes Hernia?
The exact reason that causes hernias is yet to be discovered. Studies show that it affects men more than women. In some cases, hernias can be congenital which means it develops since birth. One of the common causes behind hernia is muscle weakness and strain.
Here are some of the activities that lead to muscle weakness and thereby hernia ⚠️
- Constipation and straining in the toilet due to it.
- Prostate enlargement
- Cystic fibrosis
- Lifting unusually heavy objects
- Obesity or being overweight
- Lack of proper nutrition
- Any kind of damage from injury or surgery
- Chronic cases of coughing
- Undescended testicles
What are the symptoms of Hernia?
The signs and symptoms of hernia will depend on the nature and type of hernia. Anyway, some of the common symptoms of femoral, umbilical, and inguinal hernias are given below:
- A bulge of swelling beneath the abdomen or groin.
- Abdominal discomfort and constipation.
- Blood in stool
- When lifting or bending you feel discomfort in the bellies
- A sense of weakness or pressure on your groin
- Inability to swallow
- Nausea and shooting pain
- Swelling and pain around the testicles.
Diet Tips To Lose Belly Fat With A Hernia
If you are affected with Hernia, it is suggested that you should follow a low-calorie diet with healthy food items to lose belly fat with it. Here are some of the diet tips you need to follow to burn belly fat with a hernia.
✅ Avoid eating in bulk: To reduce belly fat during hernia, you need to consume small and frequent meals. This can keep you full for longer times and avoid any unhealthy snacking.
✅ Increase your fluid intake: Water and other fluids have a crucial role in keeping your weight in balance. So if you have a hernia, try to consume more fluids and water daily.
✅ Choose whole foods over processed items: Now is the time to say goodbye to processed and unhealthy items. As they can worsen the symptoms along with aiding in belly fat. Go for whole foods and vegetables.
✅ Practice chewing your food thoroughly: Proper digestion is important when you have a hernia. Properly chewing food can help your digestive system and give you a cue to know when to stop eating.
✅ Include probiotics in your diet: Adding probiotics such as fermented items can ensure healthy digestion and thereby help you in losing belly fat with a hernia.
✅ Keep a food journal: Last but not least, having a proper food journal can help keep track of the food you eat. It can help you to shift to healthier alternatives and thereby help to lose that weight.
Here is a sample diet plan to lose belly fat with a hernia:
|Early-Morning||Herbal tea such as Green tea|
|Breakfast||Veg oats or broken wheat porridge|
|Mid-Morning||Coconut water or fruit juice|
|Lunch||Boiled rice and vegetables|
|Evening||Soup or salads|
|Dinner||Boiled rice or chapati and vegetables|
Exercises To Lose Belly Fat With A Hernia
By following some exercises, you can keep the excess belly fat in control. Some of these exercises can burn the fat that has accumulated in your body due to hernia. Check out the list below to practice some exercises to burn belly fat with a hernia:
✅ Seated Knee Extensions: To practice this, you must first sit on a chair with your back straight. Make sure you are in a straight position. Now lift your one leg and bring it into a straightening position. And next, lower the leg slowly and practice the same with the other leg.
✅ Forward Lunges: Before practicing forward lunges, stand with one foot in front of the other. Now take a step forward with the other leg. And now, bend your front knee and simultaneously lower yourself to the ground. Make sure not to put your back knee fully on the floor. Now stand up and practice the whole session again.
✅ Core Twists: To practice core twists, you need to lie on your back. Then you have to bend your knees and keep your feet on the ground. Next, bring both knees to one side and return it to the center. Repeat the whole process with the other side too.
✅ Abdominal curls: Before practicing abdominal curls, lie on your back and bend your legs. Now bring your arms to a straightened position and hold them slightly off from the ground. Next, exhale and crunch up. Now extend the arms and bring them towards your shins. Now lower them again smoothly with an exhale.
✅ Squats: Squats are an excellent method to lose belly fat with a hernia. To practice squats, you must stand with feet wide apart and place the toes front. Now bring your hips backward and bend the knees and ankles. Next, sit in a squat posture and keep your heels and toes on the floor. Try to reach a parallel position and bend your knees at a 90-degree angle. Now straighten your legs by pressing into heels and return to the standing position.
On going through the article, you can find that hernia can cause many health complications. One of them is weight gain and excess belly fat. But by proper dietary changes and exercises, you can lose the belly fat acquired from a hernia.
It is ideal to follow a diet enriched with whole foods such as vegetables and fruits. Also, eat small frequently to avoid overeating and snacking. Keep unhealthy foods such as processed items away and follow a healthy fitness schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions
Consume non-citrus fruits, high-fiber greens, lean protein, and healthy oils to lose belly fat with a hernia.
You can try walking, swimming, yoga, jogging, and cycling to lose belly fat with a hernia.
No. Hernia needs some kind of surgery to completely repair it.
Yes. Often hernia surgery can cause swelling which leads to a bigger stomach.
Some of the yoga asanas to lose belly fat with a hernia are raised leg pose, the abdominal lock, the diamond pose, the shoulder stand, and the boat pose.