Necessity is the mother of invention and this is the motivation of all our discoveries. Often our inventions lead us in paths that are not taken and though unconventional they do yield results. And as long as we have results, we hardly care about the solution. Weight gain is a universal problem and all over the world people are looking for a magical “cure.”
While there are many obvious ways to attain weight loss, those are painstakingly slow. Now we have come to know that baking soda for weight loss is also a panacea. It is usually unheard of and that is why we have decided to help you weigh in the options. This will help you in case you are thinking of trying it. Keep on reading to know more.
What is Baking soda?
Chemically known as sodium bicarbonate, it is a white powder that is usually added to dishes to give them a fluffy appearance. It is in fact a common ingredient in cakes, pastries, or biscuits. Apart from this, baking soda in combination with vinegar is also used to get rid of many tough stains. There are however claims that baking soda for weight loss is also being considered, which we will be looking into in great detail.
Does Baking Soda Help You Lose Weight?
The idea that using baking soda for weight loss can yield results is pretty much inconclusive. Your 6th-grade science textbooks might have helped you learn about acids and alkalis. To put it into context, acids are sour in taste while alkalis are soapy in nature. Now there are claims that following an alkaline diet is extremely effective.
The alkaline diet includes intake of food substances that maintain equilibrium in the body. It is believed that an acidic environment inside a body is extremely conducive to promoting weight gain. Additionally, this hypothesis also concludes that acidic balance in the body is related to slow metabolic rate and hinder the weight loss system.
The intake of baking soda creates an alkaline environment which can reduce appetite, and promote thermogenesis along with other benefits. This seems to be the aim when losing weight and therefore the proponents of this theory believe in its large consumption. If we look into it scientifically, there is no evidence to prove or against this notion.
This is not to say that there have been no results, however. Some results have been reported that showed a steep increase in bone health and less loss of muscle yet no visible proof is available. Some scientists have also expressed their concern over the health risks that it poses. Read on to find out what they are.
Safety Concerns About Using Baking Soda For Weight Loss
Baking soda is not a regular item for consumption. It should be handled with care and therefore there are some safety procedures to be followed when eating baking soda for weight loss. Now dietitians would be eager to point out that extreme amounts of Sodium are not the right way to go about weight loss.
Not only can it accumulate in the body but it also causes fatal implications like high blood pressure, inflammation, and heart problems. A sudden elevation in alkaline levels is also connected with unwanted edemas and rapid changes in bodily functions.
Side Effects Of Baking Soda
Baking soda for weight loss is not without its side effects. It can cause harmful reactions in the body which may include a number of problems such as –
- Gastrointestinal woes– Consuming baking soda can lead to irregular digestive patterns which means frequent troubles to the stomach. Bloating, gas, and abdominal pain are serious concerns.
- Electrolyte imbalance– Imagine taking large quantities of baking soda. Now you might feel slightly lightweight as well as fatigued. This is caused by electrolyte imbalance and this is not considered to be ideal.
- Kidney issues– Electrolyte imbalance often leads to problems in urination and hydration levels. This is when it can lead to faulty kidneys which is not to be taken lightly.
- High blood pressure– Sodium intake causes high blood pressure which leads to cardiac woes.
- Respiratory issues– Inhaling it in even smaller quantities can meddle with respiration and cause extreme discomfort.
If the side effects are so extreme, how can you actually eat some to lose weight in a way that affects your body minimally? Our next segment will answer this for you.
Usual Methods Of Using Baking Soda For Weight Loss
Though not scientifically backed, people do consider taking baking soda for weight loss and these are a few ways in which you can do that.
1. Baking soda and water– Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with water and drink it before eating meals.
2. Combine it with lemon juice– Though a neutralization is ideal when you are suffering from bloating on ideal occasions this is not recommended. Nevertheless, people combine these and consume them in low quantities.
3. Putting some in bathing water– Another way is not by consuming it but rather by detoxifying the bath water with baking soda and getting relieved of the impurities as well as stress.
Do not consume it without discussing it with your dietitian. Since the side effects are obvious, you might want to be careful about the implications.
To conclude, baking soda has not yet proven to be effective in reducing weight to the level that it should be eaten on a weight-loss diet. Future studies may prove it beneficial but for now, it isn’t ideal.