Losing weight can’t be easy for everyone. Many reasons can cause obesity and not all of them can be treated with just exercise. If you are someone who is affected by some kind of hormonal imbalance and weight gain due to it, there is a way out. The way is Naltrexone. How does Naltrexone aid in weight loss?
Low Dose Naltrexone aka LDN is a medical invention that is used as an opioid antagonist in the field of medicine. Recent studies and research have proved that this medication in lesser quantities can aid in weight loss and thereby help people who struggle with conditions like obesity and overweight. This medication is especially helpful if you have weight gain and other conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes. Many studies are now coming out in favor of Naltrexone’s effect on losing weight. The medication is both available as pill and injection and both are approved by the Food and Drugs Association.
In this article, we will be discussing some of the crucial aspects of Naltrexone and the ways it aids in weight loss. It also encompasses details on the various side effects of the drug and who should consume it. Like any other medication, you need to consult your physician before consuming Naltrexone. If you want to know more about Naltrexone and its effects on weight loss, dive right into the article and read on!
Naltrexone- An Overview
First made in 1965, Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist that works against the factors that cause alcohol or opioid addiction. It is commonly known in other brand names like Revia, Vivitrol, Depade, etc. Even though it was made in 1965, the US government approved this for medicinal purposes only in 1984. It is a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved medication that can treat both Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) and Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD).
Naltrexone works by inhibiting the euphoric effects of opioids and alcohol in your brain. Even though it is a clinically prescribed medication, it can have many side effects. So one should take a detailed doctor check-up before consuming the medication. Naltrexone can be consumed both as pills and injections.
Uses of Naltrexone
As an opioid antagonist, Naltrexone has been used to treat Alcoholism and Opioid Use Disorder (OUD). Still, it has got some other uses too. Check out the benefits of Naltrexone in detail here:
⚪ To treat Alcohol Use Disorder: Naltrexone usage can treat a severe case of alcohol consumption. When you consume Naltrexone, you develop less desire to consume alcohol. This is because Naltrexone can connect with the endorphin receptors in your body and reduces the effects of alcohol in your body.
⚪ To treat opioid use: The intake of Naltrexone is linked with a reduced risk of overdose due to opioid consumption. When you consume Naltrexone, you develop decreased cravings for opioids and other drugs such as heroin. It can also reduce the risk of overdosing on opioids in your body.
⚪ Studies have been conducted on the effect of Naltrexone on behavioral addictions like kleptomania and gambling.
⚪ Some research has also proved the effect of Naltrexone on helping to decrease pain and deal with neurological symptoms.
⚪ New studies are conducted on behalf of Naltrexone on conditions such as Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Fibromyalgia (FMS), and Autoimmune Diseases.
You might also like to read: Mounjaro For Weight Loss
How does Naltrexone aid in weight loss?
A study published in the Archives of Medical Science in 2021 has evaluated the effects of Naltrexone in aiding weight loss in adults. In this study, side effects were rarely reported and efficiency was almost proven. Based on this evaluation, many studies and research have already been published which keep on pressing on the effectiveness of Naltrexone on weight loss. Doctors have started to prescribe Naltrexone in smaller doses for aiding in weight loss. There are several ways Naltrexone helps with losing weight. Some of them are given below:
- It can decrease Insulin resistance: Insulin resistance is a condition in which certain organs in your body don’t react to insulin, which is produced by your pancreas. Studies have shown that insulin resistance can lead to weight gain in the body. Naltrexone can reduce insulin resistance in your body and thereby reduce the risk of weight gain.
- Consumption of Naltrexone can enhance the production of growth hormones in your body: Studies have proved that the consumption of Naltrexone in shorter amounts can enhance the production of growth hormones in your body. These hormones can accelerate the process of lipolysis, which means converting fat into energy. Thereby the usage of Naltrexone can positively affect the process of weight loss in your body.
- Naltrexone can keep control of your appetite levels: Consistent usage of Naltrexone can have a modulating effect on your appetite. A study published in Physiology and Behaviour in the year 1997 found that Naltrexone can have an impact on food intake and reduce your appetite. When you gain control over your appetite, you naturally tend to lose weight.
- It can reduce inflammation in your body: In fact, Naltrexone is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that can reduce inflammation in your body. Inflammation can have a considerable effect on your weight gain as it can increase insulin resistance and leptin levels. Along with that, if your body has some kind of inflammation you tend to have an increased level of appetite which can also lead to a severe case of weight gain.
- Naltrexone can enhance your sleep quality: Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) has a considerable effect in reducing your neurological pain and thereby aiding in sound sleep. As you know, sleep is a crucial component in weight loss. Lack of quality sleep is linked with inflammation and other chronic conditions which can lead to weight gain. When you start consuming LDN you get some quality sleep and thereby you lose weight.
- Naltrexone can increase thyroid hormone production: Consumption of LDN is linked with an increase in thyroid hormone production in your body. Studies have proved that the higher the thyroid hormones, the chances of weight loss is even greater. Naltrexone can deal with the condition of hypothyroidism and weight gain and reverse the effects of these chronic conditions in your body.
Who should use Naltrexone for weight loss?
Not everyone should use Naltrexone for weight loss. There are certain groups of people who are advised to take Naltrexone for weight loss. These are listed below:
- People who are affected by autoimmune diseases and weight gain
- People who have issues with eating patterns
- People who have issues like hormonal imbalance
- Patients diagnosed with sleep deficiency and sleep disorders
- Patients of Hypothyroidism
Side effects of Naltrexone
Many side effects are reported for Naltrexone. If any of the side effects include risky factors, you need to consult your doctor immediately.
Some of the most common side effects of using Naltrexone are given below:
- Mild or moderate stomach cramps
- A tendency to vomit or nausea
- Excessive sleepiness
- Excruciating headache
- An inability to rest and stay still
- Pain in the joints and muscles
- Lack of appetite
- Constipation and diarrhea
- Excessive thirst and sweating
- Fatigue and breathing difficulty
- Anxiety and dizziness
- Dry mouth and skin rashes
- Cold and fever-like symptoms
- Stiffness in the joints and muscles
⚠️ Some of the risky side effects of using Naltrexone include Liver injury, depression, suicidal thoughts, allergies, etc.
On analyzing the aforementioned article, one can conclude that Naltrexone is an ideal medication that can be used for weight loss purposes. It is an FDA-approved medication that can regulate certain functions in one’s body and thereby positively affect the process of weight loss. Naltrexone is known in the market by several names, and one should seek medical consultation before using the medication for weight loss.
Many studies have already been published in favor of Naltrexone and its impact on regulating insulin resistance and the production of growth hormones in the human body. Studies have also evaluated the role of Naltrexone in controlling one’s appetite and increasing the release of thyroid hormones in the body which can help one to lose weight more efficiently. Still, not everyone can consume the medication and it is prescribed for certain people who are already diagnosed with certain conditions that add to their weight and thereby cause obesity and overweight.
Naltrexone has side effects which are the most common are nausea, anxiety, and fatigue, and rare ones include cramps in the stomach and muscular pain, etc. Anyway, as a concluding point, one can surely say that Naltrexone is efficient in treating weight gain and if used with proper medical guidance it can effectively treat conditions like obesity and overweight.
Frequently Added Questions
Low Dose Naltrexone is only one-tenth of the dose that is used for opioid addiction. This can be 4.5 mg of Naltrexone.
You should consume Naltrexone as your doctor suggests.
Weight gain is a rare side effect of Naltrexone. If it is combined with bupropion, it can cause weight gain.
If your doctor suggests you follow a specific diet program, you can follow that. Otherwise, you can consume Naltrexone with a normal diet.
No. You need to consult your doctor before taking the medication.