Are you seeing a drastic change in your weight? Are you getting shedding a lot of weight suddenly? A slight weight change now and then is okay but if there’s no explanation for the severe fluctuations, it might not be a good sign.
So, if you are losing body weight drastically, it might be the right time to consult a medical care provider. Here are some of the reasons for sudden weight loss.
Sudden Weight Loss
- Improper Diet: Just like overeating can cause weight gain, otherwise is also applicable. Medically termed as obesity paradox, if you stop eating proper meals, it causes your weight to drop all of a sudden. As we age, our stomach stays full for longer hours and we don’t feel hungry. This ultimately makes you lose weight, look weak, and feel lethargic. So, it is important to ensure that you are consuming enough meals to get the required nutrients.
- Over-Active Thyroid: One of the symptoms of over-active or hyperthyroidism is weight loss. This indicates that your thyroid gland responsible for regulating the metabolism is releasing multiple hormones. This results in body changes and one of them is drastic weight loss.
- Depression: When you aren’t feeling good about yourself, or having episodes of stress or anxiety, this could be a sign of depression. One of the side effects of depression is appetite loss, and in that case, weight loss fluctuation is possible. In some cases, you don’t notice the extent of depression, and others might point out that you are looking weak.
- Developed Diabetes: In the beginning, diabetes can lead to shedding unexpected weight. You might also feel thirsty all the time and have the urge to pee constantly. This doesn’t indicate urine excretion from your body but rather glucose. Diabetes also prevents your body muscles from consuming nutrients and ultimately, your weight drops.
- Not Feeling Well: It is common to lose appetite on days when you don’t feel well (either mentally or physically). But if that feeling is due to an underlying condition such as lupus or Sjögren’s syndrome, it can cause you to reduce your food intake. This ultimately sheds your weight and you start looking pale.
- Smoking: Smoking makes you lose your health and weight. If you are a regular smoker, it would result in reduced metabolic efficiency and calorie absorption. You’d start losing weight and this isn’t a good sign.
- Muscle Loss: Your body weight is composed of fat and muscles. If you are losing muscles faster than ever, you might also be losing weight. This is especially common in people who used to exercise but are quite in the middle. If you have stopped working out or have a desk job, you might see muscle loss in the mode of weight shedding.
- Heart Condition: If you have already experienced heart problems, it can lead to muscle loss. In this situation, your heart tries to function quickly and this results in burning more calories than required. The result is ultimately drastic weight loss.
- Parasites/Worms: If your stomach has parasites or worms, they would consume all the calories required by your body. You’d observe that even when your diet is normal, your weight is dropping constantly.
- Tuberculosis: Tuberculosis is a contagious disease that affects your lungs. It causes reduced appetite and ultimately weight loss. Although if your immune system is strong enough to fight the disease, your appetite would go back to normal.
Apart from these symptoms, there are several reasons why your weight might be dropping. So, it is best to consult your doctor for remedies.